Monday, March 3, 2008

Please Stay!...just a little longer!


This past weekend was absolutely incredible. In part because Brandon was here and I was able to see him for the first time in 6 weeks. Each night before he left to go to his friends house, I would leech onto him, and whine, "NO, please...not yet..don't leave yet, stay a little longer."

And then on Sunday Morning, I did a praise dance to "A Little Longer" by Brian and Jenn Johnson and I was floored by how I had completely missed the point the whole time. How often have I begged Brandon to stay just longer? Many many times.

But how often have I pleaded with God to stay longer? ---not many

How often have I rested in His presence because it is too sweet to let go of? ---not many

How often have I tried to continue to do Christian acts or service with hopes that it will bring me closer to Christ? ---too many to count

Yes, God wants us to be actively serving Him, but not to the point that we are not stopping to give God the opportunity to just love on us. I remember when I could just sit in my dad's or my granddaddy's lap for hours and hours and sqeeze his neck, or play with his hair (the few hairs that granddaddy had), or kiss him on the cheek. And dad or granddaddy would squeeze me to the point that it was nearly a death grip, then tickle me just so he could watch me laugh and squirm, or he would kiss me on the cheek and tell me he loved me so much. And that's just my earthly father....How much MORE does God want to hold us in His mighty arms and squeeze us and tell us that He loves us so much? God is a compassionate, loving God. I desire to lay my head on His shoulder and rest in His presence, wait in His presence, feel His massive arms surround me, and whisper in my ear 'You are My daughter, and I will always love you and keep My promise to you, just as I kept my promise to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob."
(picture is of my friend Matthew and his son, Isaiah, about 2 years ago. I felt it was a good picture of a father wrapping his loving arms around his child)

No comments: